It’s been a really long time since I have veganized a recipe from the Family Circle cookbook. Most of my recent cooking has revolved completely around Miss Vegan. Of course my business keeps me very busy ; I want it to be successful. This recipe was a little easier remaking in the aspect that the original recipe didn’t contain any meat. However, there was cheese involved in the original recipe. This recipe was chosen based on ingredients I had on hand.
While I was visiting my lovely grandmother last week she offered me a couple of eggplants that her sister had recently gathered from her garden. I was excited for free locally produced food! I also hadn’t indulged in eggplant for about a year. So, the next day I was in the kitchen having my way with that eggplant.
Here is the link to the original recipe, or you can view it bellow. As I have mentioned in the past, it just takes quick free sign-up to view the recipes on the website.
The Original Recipe
- 1 large eggplant (about 2 pounds), trimmed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 pound cottage cheese OR: ricotta cheese
- 1/4 pound sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh marjoram
- 1 tablespoon bread crumbs
- Fresh Tomato Sauce recipe below
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Cut eggplant crosswise into 18 slices. Pat dry with paper toweling. Spread out more paper toweling for blotting. Mix together flour, salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in shallow dish or onto waxed paper.
2. Heat 1/4 cup oil in each of 2 large skillets over medium-high heat. Dredge each eggplant slice in flour to coat both sides.
3. Fry 2 or 3 slices of eggplant per skillet until browned on both sides, about 4 minutes total. Transfer to paper toweling to drain. Repeat until all slices are fried, adding more oil as needed.
4. Mix cottage cheese or ricotta, Cheddar cheese, parsley, marjoram and remaining pepper in a bowl.
5. In large baking dish, place 1 slice eggplant. Spread on 3 tablespoons cottage cheese mixture; top with eggplant slice, 3 more tablespoons cottage cheese mixture and final slice of eggplant. Repeat with remaining cottage cheese mixture and eggplant to make 6 stacks. Sprinkle with crumbs.
6. Bake, uncovered, in 400 degree F oven for 10 minutes. Serve immediately with Fresh Tomato Sauce. Makes 6 servings.
I used crumbled “mozzarella” by Vegan Gourmet for the ricotta and shredded cheddar by Daiya. I also used jar sauce to save some time, due to the late hour. I’m usually making dinner after work, around 10:30pm.
This plate was awesome. I wouldn’t eat it often, because it tended to be very oil from the frying process. I paired it with some spaghetti tossed with roasted garlic and olive oil.